Thursday, 16 October 2014

tuna & chickpea salad



D'you guys remember when Kate Middleton's sister came out with a book a little while ago? It was called Celebrate and, although I didn't read it, this Daily Mail article makes me feel like I have. And that's the last time I'll ever post a Daily Mail link, I promise. Basically the book received quite scathing feedback for it's wildly ambitious & innovative instructions for partying - for example, why not light a bonfire on Bonfire Night? Or storing your cakes in an airtight container to stop them getting stale? Or, indeed, freezing water for the creation of ice?! Basically it was a "well, duh!" sort of a book. And the reason I'm telling you all this, dear reader, is because this is quite a "well, duh" recipe.

This is pretty basic, you guys, I won't lie to you. I've been eating this for lunch pretty regularly for about a year now - basically every day when I was at uni - but I've never wanted to post it because, like I said, it's so "well, duh". It's salad leaves, chopped cucumber, chopped tomatoes, tuna, chickpeas & a super simple dressing, and you don't need me to tell you about it because you could totally do it yourself. However, this isn't a blog about fancy innovative recipes that will knock the socks off your dinner party guests, and nor have I ever claimed that it would be. Instead, this is a blog about what I eat every day, and this is a thing that I eat every day. So I'm going to tell you about it. Because - well, duh.

I know this isn't the most seasonally appropriate meal in the world, now that the nights are drawing in and everything I own suddenly smells a lot like damp, but hey - we live in the 21st century, and if fresh tomatoes & salad leaves are gonna be in the shops in the dead of winter then I'm gonna carry on eating them in the dead of winter.

Ingredients.
For the salad.
  • A bag of crunchy salad leaves.
  • Half a tin of tuna.
  • Half a 400g tin of chickpeas.
  • Cucumber.
  • Cherry tomatoes.
For the dressing.
  • 1 lemon.
  • 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
  • Cracked black pepper.
  • Extra virgin olive oil.
Method.
  • Begin by making the dressing. In a small bowl, mix together a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with the juice of one lemon, a tablespoon of Dijon mustard & some cracked black pepper. Adjust measurements to taste, and feel free to add salt or sugar if you need to.
  • Grad a handful of crunchy salad leaves and tear them into a bowl.
  • Chop your cucumber into small bitesize chunks, then halve your cherry tomatoes. Chuck these into the bowl with the leaves, then add in your tuna & drained chickpeas.
  • Pour over as much of the dressing as you would, then mix together.
  • Enjoy! Cause, well, duh?


No comments:

Post a Comment