Friday, 13 December 2013

12 days of christmas: orange & cinnamon plumble



The countdown to Christmas begins here! Over the next 12 days, right up until Christmas Eve, I will be posting a brand new recipe every day to hopefully inspire & excite you all into the Christmas spirit - which I, by the way, am already 100% in. For me, Christmas is all about home, and family, and after such a stressful semester at university it really is insurmountably wonderful to be back in England at this time of year. Though, that said, I've got a family in Scotland too - my friends. I actually made this dessert when I was still at uni, when my best friend Jillian was ill, and I made it at home then wrapped it up in tin foil and carried it over to her house. The wind was howling, the rain was pouring and I was wrapped up in so many layers of knitwear it was impossible to tell where I ended and cardigans began. This was a few weeks ago now, and it was the first glimmer of festive feeling that I've felt this year - because for me, so much of what's magical about Christmas has to do with the sharing of food, made with love, for the people that you love. This is one such food.

This a plum crumble - or as my flatmate Morgan called it, a plumble! - spiced with cinnamon & orange zest. It's an alternative crumble to the usual apple, or apple & some-variation-of-berry, and it makes for a sharper and more grown up festive pudding. I've used my favourite crumble topping, which I used previously for apple & sultana cinnamon spiced crumble, though I left out the maple syrup & just let the simplicity of crispy butter, sugar and flour speak for itself. Like most crumbles, this is best served warm, with cream, on a cold & rainy winter evening - which there's certainly no lack of in England right now. But what would Christmas be without dreary weather and delicious desserts, eh? Certainly not a Christmas I'd be interested in.


To make enough for 1 crumble, serving approximately 4 people, you will need...

FOR THE FILLING:
  • 800g plums.
  • 1 teaspoon of plain flour.
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
  • The zest of 1 orange.
  • 50g light muscovado sugar.
FOR THE TOPPING:
  • 225g plain flour.
  • 100g light muscovado sugar.
  • 125g unsalted butter, cubed.


1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Then, begin by cutting your plums in half, removing the stones, and chopping into quarters. Chop them smaller if you're serving to children, since the larger chunks of plum might be a bit trickier for little mouths to handle.

2. Sprinkle the sugar, flour, cinnamon & orange zest over the plums and mix it all together with your hands.

3. Place the plum mixture into a crumble dish & get on with making the topping.



4. Place your flour, sugar & butter into a large bowl, and mix. Rub the mixture between your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs, as in the above picture.

5. Generously sprinkle the crumble topping onto the plums until fully covered.

6. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown & the mixture is bubbling.

Only 12 sleeps left!

8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, very festive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plumble! I love it! I'm proposing this for Christmas dessert at my bf's' house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really nice to make food and share it with people you care about! What a nice gesture and the "plumble" looks really lovely and cozy. I'm sure your friend could feel the love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM- loving the orange-cinnamon combination i've been experimenting with an orange-cinnamon cake all day its so christmassy :)

    ReplyDelete