Saturday, 21 December 2013

12 days of christmas: french toast



There's nothing quite like Christmas morning. For me, Christmas is basically over after lunch, because all of the good stuff happens in the morning - and it's been that way ever since I was small. We always did the same thing: I'd wake up first, inevitably at some horrendously early hour, and feel about at the bottom of my bed to see if Santa had been, and my stocking was full. If it was (and I was a very good girl, so it always was) I'd go into my little brother's room to wake him up, and then together we'd go into my parents room and wake up a very disgruntled & sleepy Mum and Dad. We'd both tumble onto their bed, in a state of excitement that I doubt adult me will ever experience again, and open our stockings as Mum & Dad rubbed the sleep from their eyes. Chocolate coins, small toys, maybe even a CD - we unwrapped them all eagerly, before we were then finally allowed to go downstairs and creep excitedly into the living room. Presents! Presents under the tree! God, I was such a lucky kid to always have so many presents under the tree, and it's a feeling of overwhelming gratitude & luck (and of also being overwhelmingly loved) that I've never really gotten over. We'd unwrap our presents as Dad lit the fire, then we'd generally have breakfast. Now, you know me - the main event in my life is always food, and the main event at Christmas is obviously food! Now that I'm a grown up that's as true as it's ever been, if not more so, and that Christmas breakfast is such an important meal to me. If your family is anything like mine you'll probably only have one big meal on Christmas day - a giant Turkey roast which doubles as both lunch and dinner, as well as lunch & dinner for the next few days as well, really - so that breakfast is super important in getting you ready for the big eat. And, since you probably won't be eating for a little while, it might as well be something rich & indulgent & filling, to tide you over until the Christmas dinner is ready... Or until Dad opens the box of Quality Street, at least.

French toast is a breakfast food which can definitely be classed as rich, indulgent, and filling - and this french toast does not mess around. Slices of white bread are soaked in a gooey mixture of cinnamon, milk, vanilla essence, golden syrup & one egg, and I used a duck egg to make it eeeeeven richer. The soaked bread is then fried in melted butter until toasted, before it's topped with a final drizzle of golden syrup and a spoonful of granulated sugar. You probably don't need the extra syrup & sugar, and you probably don't need to use syrup in the mixture either, and you probably don't need to fry it in buttr - but, you know exactly what I'm going to say... It's Christmas!


To make enough for one indulgent festive breakfast, you will need:
  • 2 slices of white bread.
  • 1 egg.
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
  • 1 tablespoon of golden syrup.
  • 1-2 tablespoons of milk.
  • A drop of vanilla essence.
  • Two generous tablespoons of butter.



1. Into a large bowl, mix your egg, cinnamon, syrup, milk & vanilla essence with a fork or small whisk. Make sure it is all totally blended.

2. Soak the bread in the egg mixture until thoroughly coated.



3. Melt the butter over a medium height.

4. Once melted, place the bread - one slice at a time - into the pan. Using a spatula, press it down & fry for about 2-3 minutes. Flip the bread over, and fry for 2-3 minutes on the other side, until browned.

5. Repeat with the second slice, then serve together with an extra drizzle of golden syrup & some granulated sugar sprinkled over the top.

Only 4 sleeps left!

4 comments:

  1. I love the extra golden syrup and sugar... this is french toast made the right way ;--) It looks fabulous Holly!
    Also, I cannot wait for Christmas either, I'm so excited! Though we don't get any presents on the 25th, but on January the 6th... so I've never been ecited about that day as a kid hahaha.
    Have a nice weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like we had very similar Christmases growing up. There was something so magical about the morning, wasn't there? It's stuck in nostalgia now, but at least we have some pretty damn good memories and connotations. And Christmas breakfast really is the best -- once breakfast finishes is when the depression-that-Christmas-is-over really settles in.

    Also really proud and impressed with how much butter you use to fry up your french toasts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, this french toast looks amazing! This is one of my favorite breakfast foods ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, wow, your French toast looks great! I printed your recipe, thank you!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family Holly!
    Michael :-)

    ReplyDelete