Tuesday, 24 December 2013

12 days of christmas: apple & mincemeat crumble



At the cafe I used to work (where Kate met Wills, no less), they used to serve a Christmas crumble every day in December. It was filled with every Christmassy taste imaginable - cranberries, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, mincemeat, apple, orange, ginger... You name it, they'd packed it in there, and it was served with great big dollops of vanilla ice cream in bowls too hot to hold. Now, I've never quite managed to recreate that particular recipe - the owners were notoriously protective of their creations - but this bad boy comes in at a pretty close second. In fact, curled up on Christmas eve with a big bowl of this stuff in front of the fire as the rain pours down outside, it might even come in first.

The tart & sweet tastes of two different types of apple alongside the heady richness of boozy mincemeat make this an indulgent treat, whilst the ground almonds & cinnamon in the crumble topping amp up the sweet, Christmassy factor. I made this as pudding for the pre-Christmas Christmas dinner I mentioned recently, and since it's incredibly easy & quick to prepare I think it makes the ideal Christmas pud. Minimal fuss, minimal spend, maximum result. Plus, there's fruit! So! Healthy!

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas tomorrow, and if you don't celebrate it I hope you have a lovely day with your family nonetheless. Best wishes from The Hobbit Kitchen!


For the filling, you will need:

  • 2 bramley apples.
  • 6 cox's apples.
  • A 411g jar of mincemeat.
  • 50g light brown soft sugar.
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
  • 1/2 teaspoon of allspice.
For the crumble topping, you will need:
  • 100g ground almonds.
  • 75g butter.
  • 175g self raising flour.
  • 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon.
  • 100g demerara sugar.



1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

2. Peel & core your apples, chopping them into bitesize chunks.



3. Place them in your baking dish, alongside the entire jar of mincemeat. If all you have is a huge jar, 6 generous tablespoons should do the trick.

4. Sprinkle with cinnamon, allspice & sugar, then mix it all together with your hands until the fruit is thoroughly coated and evenly dispersed.



5. To make the crumble topping, sift your raising flour into a large mixing bowl alongside the butter - which should be cut up into chunks.

6. Rub the mixture together between your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.

7. Add in the ground almonds, cinnamon & sugar, and mix it all together either with your hands or a whisk till fully combined.

8. Generously spread the crumble topping over the apple and mincemeat mix, and then place in the oven for 25-30 minutes - until the topping is browned & the filling is bubbling.

Serve warm with double cream & custard, and have a very, very merry Christmas indeed. Only one more sleep!

9 comments:

  1. That actually looks really delicious!
    I know a few people who won't like mince pies, and this might be an amazing way to incorporate that tradition in a way that they'll enjoy.

    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks delicious, I love the meat addition. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh mincemeat isn't actually meat! haha sorry i probably should've explained - it's an alcohol & fruit mix that goes inside mince pies in the UK :) whoops, i'll edit the post now! thanks for your comment honey :)

      Delete
  3. This crumble looks so christmassy and comforting... I'd love a big bowl of it right now. Or two... it sounds so good!
    I hope you had such a wonderful Christmas Holly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks lovely and a great way to use up the inevitable leftover mincemeat! I have actually been to that very cafe, it is lovely. I hope you had a lovely Christmas and all the best for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks seriously ridiculously delicious. Although I have to admit I don't actually know what mincemeat is... is it just minced... meat?

    belle + compass

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm obviously far behind in reading your 12 days of Christmas recipes, but it looks ike you ended with a good one! This sounds and looks totally delicious. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven;t been able to comment on yours (or anyone else with blogspots) blog for the past few weeks - until I discovered it was a problem with my browser! Anyway, all my genius comments did not get through (but trust me, they were all GENIUS) I have loved all your 12 days of Christmas recipes - especially this one and the gingerbread cupcakes. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha I always thought mincemeat was meat so I thought it was strange to add to pies. So glad to know that's not the case. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete