Monday, 4 November 2013

oven cooked bacon risotto



Risotto is one of the very first things I learnt how to cook. My first ever boyfriend used to make it for me a lot, and I'd never had it before in my sheltered little hobbit life so I used to demand it basically every time we were together (I'm a delightful girlfriend, as you can imagine). I stole the recipe & still make it all the time - it's a leeky, cheesey affair which is immensely comforting, and I'll no doubt post the recipe here some time soon. It's made in the classic risotto way which involves a lot of time, care & attention, and I've always really enjoyed the process of stirring away at the stove, letting all the stress of the day disappear as you gaze mindlessly into the distance. Therefore, I was pretty suspicious of this recipe, which requires only about 10 minutes of stirring before you pop the lid on & place the whole thing into the oven, so that you can get on with something else whilst the risotto cooks away merrily without you.

But I needn't have worried and, in fact, may never return to the standard risotto method ever again. This risotto is incredibly creamy without being too stodgy, and the rice is cooked to absolute perfection. Nothing burnt or stuck to the base of the pan like I was afraid of, and all the flavours ooze into each other in the oven making this a wonderfully moreish dish. This is a remarkably simple recipe but it yields impressive results, and would be ideal for a dinner party, or any occasion where you need to feed several people at once but still want to seem fancy. Or, indeed, just for you. I won't tell if you won't.



To serve 4, you will need:
  • 250g smoked bacon, cut into small pieces.
  • 1 onion.
  • A tablespoon of butter.
  • A tablespoon of olive oil.
  • 200ml white wine (optional).
  • 700ml chicken or vegetable stock.
  • A few handfuls of cherry tomatoes.
  • 300g risotto rice.
  • Parmesan.



1. Preheat the oven 200 degrees C. In a large, oven proof saucepan or casserole dish (which has a lid), heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add in your bacon pieces & fry until cooked.

2. Chop & peel your onion, then add it into the dish alongside a tablespoon of butter.

3. Fry for approximately 5 minutes, until soft.



4. Tip in the rice and mix well, until every grain is coated in the butter and oil.

5. Pour in 200ml white wine and cook, stirring frequently, until absorbed.

6. Add in 700ml hot chicken or vegetable stock, give it all a quick stir, then put the lid on and place in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, until the rice is soft and creamy.

Serve with a sprinkle of black pepper & a generous handful of parmesan. And don't even try and pretend like you won't be going back for seconds.

23 comments:

  1. I made an awesome red wine oven risotto, so I know that oven risotto is a thing...and a delicious one at that! This flavor sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does look like the perfect fall comfort food. I love cooking risotto and I've never heard of it being made in the oven, but I surely will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you definitely should, it's amazing! thanks :)

      Delete
  3. I have never had risotto before but your photos are making me hungry. I hope to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love risotto, but have never made it for myself because I've been intimidated by how labor-intensive it can be. I'm glad to know that it can be made in the oven to eliminate all that stirring. I'll definitely be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you definitely should jamie, it couldn't be simpler! :)

      Delete
  5. My husband and I love risotto and I make it once in while and don't mind the stirring either. But I've heard great things about oven risotto and your post here is very convincing. I must try it one day. This version with bacon, onions, and the tomatoes sounds irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never made risotto in the oven. Count me in for anything with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo risotto is one of my favourites! I love that standing over them stirring process, it's so relaxing after a day at work! Love the idea of doing it in the oven though, great time saver. What a lovely recipe. Have you tried a fried or poached egg on top of your risottos yet? I tried it a while back and I'm a totally convert, has to be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! do you know, i actually really don't like egg :( it's one of the very, very few foods that i dislike! such a shame!

      Delete
  8. Oh yum!! This looks so amazing!! Perfect for a chilly Fall evening!! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. my. God. I cannot deal with this. It looks SO. FRIGGIN. HEAVENLY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just saved me so much time with this recipe! Risotto normally takes foreverrrrr. How did you know it's my favourite?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you go out of your way to make me hungry with each of your posts? This looks so good!
    Charlotte x
    La Vie en Gâteaux

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my - this looks so decadent! Look at all that yummy bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an amazing recipe! Thank you for sharing. I've made risotto maybe a dozen times but I would make it more often if the stirring and watching weren't such a bother. Will have to try this soon. Adore your blog & the name is super cute. Following on bloglovin' :)

    atelier zozo

    ReplyDelete