Tuesday, 19 November 2013

halloumi & vegetable burgers with garlic butter



Once again, blogger decides to delete my entire pre-written blog post. Gah! Ironically enough, the post was all about how ridiculously busy I am again, and how I barely have any time to read food blogs - let alone write any of my own. The end is in sight though - in two weeks I can throw myself back into the kitchen & the blogosphere whole heartedly. Sorry for abandoning you, guys!

Anyway, rest assured that in the disappeared version of this post (may it rest in peace), I waxed lyrical on the virtues of this filling, delicious & healthy(-ish) burger. However, now you'll just have to take my word for it, because I've got fishcakes in the oven & I promised myself I'd be back in the library by 7. But, please believe me when I tell you that this halloumi, mushroom, aubergine & red onion burger is the ideal vegetarian burger for meat eaters & veggies alike, and when the wholewheat buns are slathered in garlic butter... Well. I mean. Come on. Who doesn't love garlic butter?!

Oh, and just as a little side note, the best thing about spending all this time with my headphones in at the library means I'm discovering lots of lovely new music - and I can't recommend this song, Little Locket, by Brighten, enough. Do yourself a favour & check it out. Seriously.

To make enough for 4 burgers, you will need:

  • 4 burger buns. Obviously you can go for white if you'd prefer, but I really do recommend brown rolls here. As in most things really - it's just so much better for you!
  • 1 medium sized aubergine.
  • Enough halloumi for 4 burgers. I bought pre-sliced burger halloumi, which comes in packs of 4, from Morrisons. Hooray!
  • 1 red onion.
  • A few handfuls of mushrooms.
  • 1 clove of garlic.
  • About 2 tablespoons of butter - or however much you would use to butter 4 rolls.
  • Half a teaspoon of dried basil.
  • Half a teaspoon of dried oregano.
  • Half a teaspoon of garlic.
  • A handful of baby spinach.
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
  • Salt & pepper.


1. Begin by making your garlic butter. Into a small bowl, add two tablespoons of butter, along with one peeled & chopped clove of garlic.

2. Add in a sprinkling of dried basil, a sprinkling of dried oregano, and a sprinkling of garlic salt. If you don't have garlic salt, you can just add in another peeled & chopped garlic clove.

3. Mash it all together with a fork, and it's ready! Set aside whilst you get on with your burgers.



4. Heat the grill to high.

5. Chop your aubergine into even slices, and drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper.

6. Place the aubergine slices next to your halloumi slices underneath the grill, and heat for approximately 10 minutes on either side. If you've never cooked with halloumi before, you'll know it's done when it turns a kind of deep orangey yellow colour and feels tough to the touch. Aubergine goes similarly dry and crispy when it's grilled.



7. Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat.

8. Peel & roughly chop both your red onion and your mushrooms. Add in the red onion to the pan and cook for about a minute or so before adding in the mushrooms. Stir frequently for about 5-10 minutes, depending on how you like the texture of your mushrooms.



9. Once your halloumi & veg has cooked, cut the burger rolls in half and generously spread garlic butter on both the top and bottom half. Place these, butter side up, underneath the grill for about 30-60 seconds until the butter has melted in.

10. Assemble! Place your halloumi slice (or slices) on first, followed by a few aubergine slices, and a big spoonful of the mushroom & onion mix. Sprinkle with some torn up baby spinach leaves, just for a little added bit of goodness, and tuck in!

I served mine with a quinoa, tomato & spinach salad - the recipe for which will be coming at some point in the week. I hope you're all having far less stressful times than me right now, and for those of you that are also in the UK, I hope you're keeping warm!

28 comments:

  1. All those mushrooms are making me incredibly hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i'm looking at this post in the library right now and actually, me too! thanks for your comment pamela :)

      Delete
  2. Stop posting delicious photos of food I don't have, please. It's not fair. And you always seem to know exactly what I'm craving and taunt me with it... So cruel, so so cruel!

    Aimee / Wallflower Girl
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've actually had as many delicious veggie burgers as delicious meat burgers, and certainly a lot more disgusting meat burgers than veggie ones! As long as they're actual veggies (like this) and not fake meat. This looks soooo good, though, and so easy to make!

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i knowww, what is even the point in fake meat?! it definitely was really easy :) thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. This is such a clever combo - definitely going to give it a try! Halloumi is one of my faaavourites and the fact they come in burger form is so great. Here's my version of the halloumi burger. Thank you for yet another cracking recipe! X
    myuniyears.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, having something you've written deleted is the WORST. This looks so delicious...i've never had halloumi before! Can you get it at the regular grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell me about it, it happens sooooo often! thanks! oh my god, amy, you absolutely MUST try it. i think you can get it at most grocery stores - i've never struggled to find it! it's from cyprus and is very rich and salty, almost meat-like in texture. let me know if you manage to track some down :)

      Delete
  6. yuuuuum, I am definitely making these this weekend - they look so good and (despite not really liking cheese as a rule, shock horror) halloumi is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whaaaat, how can you not like cheese minna?! haha well i hope you enjoy these!

      Delete
  7. Lovin mushrooms on my burger....
    nice and tasty combo, i would prefer wholemeal buns within this recipe too for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! Perfect veggie treat for those non-meat-eaters out there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg Blogger has been getting on my last nerve - have you had issues with spacing, and also with previewing posts also? Seriously, it's been so annoying.

    But this recipe looks delish! I'm a sucker for halloumi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gaahhh yes it's driving me mental! good to know i'm not alone. thanks for your comment caroline :)

      Delete
  10. That has happened to me a few times...sigh...I'm glad you posted this anyway. I've always wanted to try halloumi. This is my kind of burger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you definitely need to try it! thanks monica :)

      Delete
  11. I feel your pain, Holly! I hate when it happens :( Oh, and I'm sorry that you're so busy too, I loathe when that happens as well... Glad to see you'll be back soon though!
    And these burgers?? I'm taking your word for it, they look fabulous! Garlic butter sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There has been a big block of halloumi in the side of my fridge door for too long now- i couldn't decide how to use it up but this week end it's definitely ending up in a burger. This looks gorgeous :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are making me droooooool. nice to meet with you Holly :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum YUm YUM - lots of my favourite ingredients, cannot wait to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look delightful! I'm in love with mushrooms at the minute - I'm throwing them in with everything; I demanded them on home-made pizza last night, had some with scrambled eggs for lunch and I keep snacking on them straight from the fridge. And to think I wasn't a fan of them when I was younger..! Plus I adore halloumi - there's no Morrisons near me to get burger shaped slices though; I will have investigate!
    Charlotte x
    La Vie en Gâteaux

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally bookmarking your recipe. This looks amazingly delicious and right up my street. Nom!

    ReplyDelete