Monday, 21 October 2013

an alternative sunday lunch



We all know how much I love Sundays, but I'm actually not a particularly big fan of Sunday Lunch. In Britain, the Sunday Lunch is a truly hallowed tradition, entirely deserving of Capital Letters, and is pretty much adored the whole country over. Restaurants inevitably have a separate Sunday menu, supermarket supplies of meat and vegetables always dwindle on a Saturday, and a lot of British folk will tell you there's no smell more comforting than that of a Sunday roast. And I probably do agree. It's the only time we really eat the way that I like to imagine French people eat all the time - setting aside a good few hours to cook, then even more hours to eat & sleep it all off after. Every family has their own tradition, but it normally consists of some type of roasted meat, alongside roasted vegetables, stuffing, and a hearty helping of meat infused gravy. And I love the smell, and I love the idea, but in practice... Nah. I'm not really a fan. When I was a vegetarian the whole idea was just sort of pointless to me since I couldn't get involved in the main event - i.e., the meat - and I guess that attitude's remained with me even now I'm happily back on the omnivore train.

But with that said, I love the idea of Sunday lunch - and of really making that one, midday meal a proper occasion. I also really like the idea of having a plate of things you enjoy, each in their own little section. This Sunday, I wasn't really sure what I wanted, so I decided to just head off to the supermarket around midday & put whatever I fancied in my basket. Some asparagus tips were on sale for half price & I knew I had some plum tomatoes to use up, so buying garlic, mushrooms, cous cous & fancy bread was the natural next step.

This isn't going to be a recipe post, because there's no real recipe here. I fried up the asparagus & the mushrooms with butter and two chopped up garlic cloves, and just used a ready made (shhhh!) wild mushroom cous cous mix. I ate my delicious Sunday lunch in front of an old episode of River Cottage, using my hunk of wholegrain seeded bread to mop up the leftover buttery garlic juices. It was a plate of some of my very favorite foods, cooked simply (if cooked at all) with minimal fuss. The ideal alternative to a Sunday roast.

What's your perfect Sunday lunch?

18 comments:

  1. This Sunday Lunch looks delicious! I love the idea of sitting down to a nice lunch since I feel like people are always rushing around so much these days. I wish my weekday lunches were so nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, i'm really looking to start the weekday lunch time revolution, haha :) thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. oh, i love this very simple lunch plate.. reminds me of my lunches! i love creating meals on the weekends, i have so much time to just sit and cook... it's quite nice!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it definitely is nice to have the time :) thanks so much, lindsey louise!

      Delete
  3. This is totally my kind of lunch, I'd love to have it anyday! Seriously girl, it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks delightful! Healthy, satisfying and delicious! Sounds like my kinda meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine this would be perfect paired with a good glass of red! Sunday bliss in my books.

    http://www.audacityoffood.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the fresh veggies in your Sunday lunch, a happy harvest it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I think I'm going to looooove Sundays in England! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks delicious!
    would you like to follow each other?
    just let me know
    kisses :*
    Marlena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely. This is how I often do lunch...a combo of all the things that look fresh and inviting at the market. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be a pretty tip-top Sunday lunch for me, but I guess being American I think of Sunday as brunch day :P So Sunday dinner matters more.

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful meal, and I agree with you that I'd almost prefer it to a roast. That bread in particular looks really divine. Mmmm.
    And presented so prettily. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. River Cottage and this food, sounds like an ideal Sunday to me!

    Aimee @ WallflowerGirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete