Monday, 30 September 2013

mushroom & applewood pitta



This isn't a very hobbit-y thing to say, but I rarely bother with lunch. Like, I eat it, obviously, because I can't go for more than 2 hours without a meal, but I don't like to spend too much time on it. Salads, sandwiches, heated up leftovers, cheese & biscuits, etc. That sort of thing. I tell myself it's because I'm too busy during the day to bother with cooking, but I'm a student and I'm lazy so that is obviously not the case. Shall we make a pact to devote time to lunch on days that are not Sunday? Let's.

This is a lunch time food which takes about half an hour to prepare, so for me that's like, a big deal. But it's worth it - total comfort food. Mushroom and thyme share a relationship more beautiful than the Notebook, and I've never met a sandwich that couldn't be improved by a hefty amount of smokey applewood cheese. Because yeah, this is basically just a sandwich, and so you could of course use regular ol' bread if you wanted. I like to use pitta because I love pitta, and I like to use wholewheat because Pam Ayres once described the taste of wholewheat bread as "like biting into a cornfield", and I can't get that description out of my head. But of course, make your own kind of music, sing your own kind of song, etc.



To make one filled pitta, you will need:
  • 4 chestnut mushrooms.
  • Half an onion.
  • 1 clove of garlic.
  • A small handful of fresh thyme.
  • 1 tbsp olive oil.
  • 50g grated Applewood cheese.
  • 1 wholewheat pitta.

Obviously, please feel free to adjust these amounts according to preference and bread size.

1. Heat the olive oil in a medium sized frying pan over a medium heat.

2. Peel & chop the onion half into relatively thin pieces, and cook for around 3 minutes. Peel and chop the garlic, add to the onion & cook for 3 to 5 minutes longer.

3. Peel & chop your mushrooms and add them to pan along with some roughly chopped thyme. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until the mushrooms have browned to your own mushroomy preference. I don't mind being slightly underdone, so for me it was about 10 minutes.



4. Once cooked, slice open your pitta and fill with the mushroom-y thyme-y garlic-y onion-y mix, but don't reduce the heat on the pan.

5. Scatter with the grated cheese.




6. Place your filled pitta back in the frying pan and press down with a spatula/your iron fist for about 3 minutes or so. Flip the pitta over, and do the same on the other side. Once it's evenly browned on the outside & deliciously melty and gooey on the inside, you're done!

I kept it super simple & just served with a handful of fresh baby plum tomatoes, because I don't seem to be able to go a day without tomatoes.



(P.S. Making a second one immediately after you've finished the first is optional, but encouraged.)

5 comments:

  1. Leftovers = lunch right? Where else could lunch possibly come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is genius, god I love your blog. Keep it up please! You seem to be using all my staple ingredients.. but throwing them together in ways I've never thought of! X

    myuniyears.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mushrooms anything wins. Love your narrative style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of Applewood cheese. I think I need to track some down though... the word 'smoky' is persuasive enough! Like you, I can't go two hours without eating; my favourite snack is any sort of toasted carbohydrate with butter, avocado or cream cheese. Toasties win every time though!

    ReplyDelete